• A combination of two medications that prevents UTI-causing bacteria from producing folic acid necessary for survival
• One pill taken 2x daily
• Dosage of 800/160 mg
Sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim DS is a preferred antibiotic prescribed to treat uncomplicated urinary tract infections.
• FDA-approved in 2001
• Start feeling better within a few days
The combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim creates a powerful antibiotic to treat UTIs.
• Considered the standard of therapy for acute and recurrent urinary tract infections
• The synergistic combination works at two separate steps of the bacterial folate metabolism, resulting in the inhibition of DNA synthesis
Sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim DS is a generic medication.
• Bactrim is the brand name
• The generic form has the same active ingredients and is much less expensive