• Amoxicillin-clavulanate is a combination prescription antibiotic that kills bacteria that causes UTIs
• One pill taken 2x daily for 7 days
• Dosage of 500 mg/125 mg
• FDA-approved in 1996
• Most report feeling better within 24-48 hours
• Adding the chemical clavulanate potassium to the antibiotic amoxicillin increases the amount of time the antibiotic stays active in the body
• Belongs to the medicines known as penicillins and beta-lactamase inhibitors
• Augmentin is the brand name
• The generic form has the same active ingredients and is much less expensive
Amoxicillin-clavulanate should not be taken by anyone with a penicillin allergy due to the risk of developing a serious skin rash. This medication should also not be used by patients with severe renal impairment.
The UTI medications we offer are effective medications and, when prescribed under the supervision of a licensed healthcare provider, are relatively safe. Your health and safety is very important to us. A licensed provider will evaluate your health history and your current health status to ensure you are the right candidate for our UTI prescriptions.