• Acyclovir is an ant-viral medication that helps minimize symptoms associated with cold sores along with the duration of symptoms
• Initial outbreak, recurrent outbreak, and suppressive therapy treatments
• Dosage depends on stage of cold sore
Acyclovir is proven to heal cold sores quickly and is most effective when taken at the first sign of a cold sore.
• FDA-approved in 1982
• Starts working within 24-48 hours of your first dose
Acyclovir can help manage your cold sores caused by type one herpes simplex virus (HSV-1).
• Stops the growth, replication, and spread of cold sores by attacking the DNA of the virus
• HSV-1 will always live in your body, so acyclovir helps to manage symptoms
Acyclovir is a generic medication
• Zovirax is the brand name
• The generic form has the same active ingredients and is much less expensive